Re: Belly tank

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "Phillip Landry" <saltracer@netscape.net>
Subject: Re: Belly tank
From: "Hyatt Engineering Ltd." <Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 07:52:29 -0500
Hi Phil,
Your tank looks exactly like mine, even the fabrication details of the rear
cone attachment (one of mine broke off the same way). Do you have the rear
cone? The pattern of the rear fins (if it had them) can help identify the
origin.  For example I was told that mine were from the F5J Phantom, but
every photo I have ever seen of Phantom tanks indicates that they used no
fins at all. My tanks had two fins about  160 degrees apart which looks more
like the F105 tank.  The USAF Museum has a web site with thousands of photos
if you want to look for a match. Does anyone have a more positive method to
ID the things (like dimensions)?
That's very considerate of you to hang it from the rafters. I just threw
mine in the back yard and told the neighbors it was lawn sculpture.  I guess
I get by with it because they know I grew up in the NC mountains, and all
they know about hillbillies (hilbillii?) was learned by watching Deliverance
(they thought it was a documentary).
Montanaro Greg
PS It is surprising how many people have obviously never heard of a belly
tank and think that they are bombs! When hauling the things around you get
an occasional look of wide-eyed terror.  It's hard to believe that I met
their profile of a typical terrorist... a middle aged white guy driving down
the interstate with ALL of his kids in the truck, and the tanks in open view
(maybe it's the hillbilly thing).  I guess I should start using a tarp on
the trailer, or start shaving.