The Rules and Very Questionable Racecar Construction

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: The Rules and Very Questionable Racecar Construction
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:57:07 EST
       I    just now read my oldest son's latest email to this list, re :
The  Rules .
I  do not wish to fan any flames,  create any animosity among the many fine
people
that make up this list, or " back up "  Douglas  just because he is my son  .
 You
can believe me when  I  say he and  I  do not always agree on the best way to
accomplish a task,  or solve a problem .   The same thing can also be said of
his
younger brother,  Darrell ,  probably  even more so .   We  have all been
accused
of being perfectionists, but the point here is we are attempting to build a
racecar
that meets the letter of the law regarding the rules of our class , and also,
not just
meets, but exceeds,  all of the required safety regulations for any car
capable of
very high speeds .  There is an old axiom that  " you just can't be too safe
",  and
I  think most of us on this list would agree .
     From following the messages here for several months now ,  I  see there
are
members, or some of their friends, who have been involved in crashes, or other
incidents, during competition .   Their comments and observations regarding
car
construction and the validity of required safety equipment should carry some
weight with all of us here, whether competitor, prospective competitor, car
builder,
pit crew, or interested onlooker .  No rational person wants to see a driver
injured
or worse, and we must all be aware that it might not take a whole rash of
fatal, or
very spectacular,  accidents to bring down the legislative wrath of members
of the
state or federal government, possibly prohibiting this wonderful privilege we
all enjoy,
namely, being able to drive " all  out "  at the lakes, on the salt, or at
that long
runway at Maxton .  There are already way too many do - gooders, some in high
positions, with its' attendant power, who would dearly love to inhibit,
restrict, or,
better yet, TOTALLY  PROHIBIT, any and all forms of auto racing  !!!
     We must  NOT  provide them with any ammunition for their agenda  -------
  We
ALL  can see that  SAFETY  IS  PARAMOUNT  ,  so let us all design and
construct
the  SAFEST  vehicle  possible  .   I'm sure we're all in agreement here  .

         I  WILL  back  Douglas on his statement concerning the car in
question :
While very fast, very sleek and swoopy, it is an OBVIOUSLY   VERY  POOR
piece of construction, workmanship, and lacking the minimal standards of
well -
thought out design and general quality we should all expect in any car
running at
an event as prestigious as  Speed  Week  at  the  Bonneville  Salt  Flats .
        I  have seen a car that was actually  MUCH  WORSE  ------  at  Speed
Week
1998  .   This fugitive from a junkyard, a real trash can of a big sedan
running in
a class allowing numerous modifications, hence a potentially  FASTER  car .was
such a disgraceful attempt at building a racecar that it was beyond absurdity
.
     This car would not meet the general basic level of  entries in
Demolition  Derbys
held across America in its ( total lack ) of  craftsmanship ,  sound
construction ,
adequate fasteners, placement of components with some thought to driver safety
in the event of a mishap .  Just about the VERY worst excuse for a racing car
one
could find  ANYWHERE .         And, unfortunately,  IT  WAS  ALLOWED  TO  RUN
!
      I  DO  CONCUR  HERE  ------  Doug  DOES  have a VALID point here  .
              This  car's  very  PRESENCE  on the salt proved it me .
  Thanks  for bearing with me on this, guys .   Let' s  just build  SAFE
cars .
 You got  10  cents  worth this time --- NO axe to grind with  ANYONE --------
   Bruce  Douglas  Ferguson  @  Black  Radon  Engineering