Re: Rules

To: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:32:19 EST
In a message dated 01/20/2000 10:01:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com writes:

<<
 well ardundoug, i havent run at ANY scta events, NOT A SINGLE ONE , but ive
 spent many hours watching other cars go thru tech at them, possibly more
 than you, so i can speak from some personal experience, and what i saw with
 my own eyes was a joke safety and rule wise. ILL FLAME THE FIRE RIGHT NOW
 !!!,-    i saw a record holding modified sports running well over 200 mph
 year after year, and when this guy came thru tech, he had violations
 obvious to me , a dumb , unexperienced, rookie bystander such as:
 1. closed end acorn nuts on his wheels
 2. no washers on alloy wheels
 3. a backseat bulkhead fabbed out of some kind of plastic shower curtain
 material ty-wrapped in flapping in the breeze with huge gaps to the drivers
 compartment
 4. a true garbage rollcage without any scta required gussets, and safety
 padding quite questionable
 5. a driver side restraint consisting of a window net from the roof to the
 rocker panel held in with several small ty-wraps thru sharp holes on
 sheetmetal that were literally punched with an awl, i could have thrown a
 fastball at the net and it would have ripped out !!!

 there were quite a few other problems which i cannot remember right now,
 but the car overall was a safety NIGHTMARE, not to mention it was a real
 piece of **** to be going 200 + mph  - i watched this car slip right thru
 tech, with the CHIEF tech inspector , yes, numero uno, of the scta
 performing and signing off his primary inspection, but they knew each other
 on a first name basis so that makes his car safe, his independent backup
 inspection consisted of the first inspector walking over to the second one
 and saying quote " hey, sign off (name's) car, its good to go", and he
 signed it off without even looking over his shoulder at the car. a couple
 cars later a guy with a beautiful, safe, well constructed altered who came
 all the way from austrailia literally got his balls BUSTED by the scta
 inspectors because his same metal backseat bulkhead had  tiny gap that a
 fruitfly couldnt get thru , im talking 30 thousandths of an inch , i was
 truly disgusted that another guy was ok with a bulkhead that would have
 instantly melted if it came in contact with fuel, not to mention plastic is
 flammable on its own, and he was already lining up in the staging lanes. so
 this is a  SPECIFIC PROBLEM I HAVE, with this sanctioning organization now
 that you have asked. i also have seen some other "gems" about safety and
 rules if you would like me to contact you offline

 now i know everyone is gonna say that inspectors have alot to do , they are
 there to help, they arent perfect , they are volunteers,  AND I 100 % AGREE
 AND compliment their efforts , that is not the issue here, i can tell from
 feedback on our vehicle already that these same inspectors are trying to
 tell me our car is illegal, when it is by the book 100 % legal, and very
 safe to boot, but their interpretation is right and mine is wrong , even
 though it meets scta rules verbatim, and there is nothing i can do about it
 except take it. actually ardundoug, our car has been "questioned" by
 several inspectors alredy, spoiler, airdam, chine blades, breathers, etc. -
 but i dont know them on a first name basis either, so, ardundoug i dont
 think im just talking out my *** even though im not a seasoned vet in the
 landspeed world .

 i mean this in a nice way, TO ALL, im actually a nice, easygoing person in
 real life

 im sure the scta will have a warrant waiting for black radon engineering at
 the bonneville entry road checkpoint this year, MY FIRST scta event as a
 competitor ardundoug,  positive regards to all- im thru with trying to
 discuss this rules thread, really

 doug-

Doug,
    Paranoia is indeed treatable. You seem to have built a case against your
own "soon to be run" car without any Tech person actually looking at it. Why
not finish it and bring it to Tech, letting the cards fall where they will.
    Many of us have poured our heart, soul, and pocketbooks into projects
that we were so sure would break records, that we had in the back of our
minds to just have SCTA send the trophy and the Two-Club mail the hats.
Reality is, indeed a different story as many of the Group will attest.
    Regards your stories about doing Tech from an observers post, I think
that very few competitors would honestly say that under the old method they
have never seen something slip by Tech as a result of the past "good-old-boy"
club. One year while I was recruited to do Tech with absolutely NO training I
was told by a since-replaced official to "just sign off" a VERY FAST car
belonging to a VERY well known racer. At that time only one inspector was
required to sign-off any car, regardless of the speed it was capable of. I
handed him my clip-board and walked away.
    The "big-top" method, as I call it, of Tech inspection has made huge
improvements in the quality and consistency of the procedure. The log-book
system is a HUGE plus also.
    My understanding is that the Tech people will not disqualify a car for
being in the wrong class. If the car owner calls it in a certain class, they
SAFETY TECH it for that class. The determination of class correctness comes
in the impound area after a record run.
    Safety Tech or class designation-wise,  if some inspector objects to
something on a car, and you don't agree with it, have him write it in the log
and sign it. The next step is the Class Committee for the type of car,
followed by the SCTA Board. Believe me, these guys are all pretty practical
independent thinkers and will not necessarily "scratch-each-others-back".
Once the questionable innovation passes the Tech at impound following a
record run, the innovation becomes a precident, cast in stone.
    I don't know if a spectator can protest a car going through Tech, but a
$100 bill and a discussion with Dan Warner should test the rule at the next
SCTA meet.
    With a  litttle knowledge of the LIMITATIONS in the rule book combined
with the input from the various committee's, I can see little possibility of
one's getting to the races with some major disqualifying innovation and / or
violation of the class rules.
                        Ardun Doug in CA