Re: The Gage Deal

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: The Gage Deal
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:15:08 -0800
Group,

Lots more discussion on gauges pro & con than I expected. Do you need
them? Yes! Can you read them going down the course? It depends on many
factors, your attention needs to be where it is needed most at the time.
I have been on runs where I got bored because of nothing important to
do, on others where I don't remember what I did because I was so
preoccupied with getting to the end of the run safely.

My suggestions come from experience in my car so they may not apply to
all.
1-Install what ever gauges you need to monitor the engines performance,
Oil press, Water temp, RPM, Oil temp, a good idea, (if you lose the
water suddenly the water temp may not be a good indicator) and as many
others as makes you confident that you know what is happening under the
hood.

2-Be sure the gauges are large enough for you to read.

3-Background color of the gauges can be a problem, I found out after I
made the purchase that a white background would have been a better
choice for my car. Its dark in a three window chopped coupe and awfully
bright on the outside of the windshield.

4-Make as many things automatic as possible. For instance, I have found
that an addition of a water temp switch to turn on the water pump has
been useful to me. If I'm are too busy to watch the temp, forgetting to
turn on the pump is not a problem. An ignition shutoff for low oil
pressure is also a great idea.

5-Of course warning lights are a great idea also.

6-The decision on installing gauges should not rest on whether or not
you think you can read them on the course. They tell you what you need
to know during warm-up in the pits, on the starting line, and who knows,
you may catch a glance of them while underway. Naturally, there is no
substitute for a recording device
if you can afford the luxury. As Keith has said, gauges are there to
"inform and warn" if you don't see it it doesn't help.

Tom, Redding CA