Re: 302 crank

To: <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: 302 crank
From: "Glenn Neimeyer" <gneimeyer@apex2000.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 00:06:30 -0600
Tom,
'fraid the best news I can give you is that Chevy doesn't list all their
cranks in this catalog. I couldn't find any early (small journal) cranks.
The book only lists about nine cranks, including two raw forgings. One of
these, pn# 24502460 will only "accomodate finished strokes from 3.20" to
4.00" (their wording). Maybe a savvy machinist or GM rep could tell you if
this one could be offset ground for the 3.00" stroke? $$$? My SBC
interchange manual implies there was a small and large journal steel crank
made. It lists two id/casting numbers for the large journal one; 1178 and
3279. All 302 cranks supposedly have the early round rear flange with one
notch cut out of it. Is this for a restoration or class racing? Just being
nosey, the 302 is probably my favorite smallblock. Good luck. Std 5/5
warranty.
Glenn "all I need is another hobby" in West Texas