Re: Youngsters

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>, Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Re: Youngsters
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:36:13 -0800 (PST)

--- John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
wrote:
> What about a spec racer...in a Lakester or
> Modified Roadster configuration?
> Maybe with Pinto power?
>
> John Beckett

John, I love the spec racer idea for older kids,
but I think you need the briggs and stratton
racer for younger kids to. Also, make sure the
spec racer doesn't get too expensive.  You might
consider a Production spec class - like Honda
Civic.  They're a dime a dozen all over the
place, earlier ones can be picked up for a couple
hundred bucks.  If they are limited to truly
unmodified early single cammers, they're going to
be an under 125mph car, so the cost is
automatically held down. Pinto's would have been
great fifteen years ago, but they are not all
that common any more.  Rules should prohibit
headers and induction changes, only safety
modifications allowed, etc.  No cams or anything.
 Pure stock!  Take a look at SCCA production
rules for Solo racing.  They can't even take the
intake plenum off! No fancy wheels, not even a
seat change!  Very limiting for died in the wool
racers, but very invitational for somebody who's
not supposed to spend money or tear up the car.

=====
......(In East Texas)........
....FX/GMR  SC/P250-2........
.....Shelby  427 Cobra.......