CUBES answer

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: CUBES answer
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:16:10 -0600
Pretty close.... The Builder is an idiot.... and he didn't know what Pie was
exactly when he asked the question....

305.999 is the Max limit for so i am sitting there doing my math quite
poorly and came up with 305.11 for a 2.85 stroke on a 4.125 bore.   you do
the math... you won't be impressed with my results.

Problem is that the 4.125 bore was only avalible stock in a 400 chevrolet
engine.  So finding a Perfect.... doesn't need Boring Block is about
impossible.  Dart Makes a Block that is capable of going all the way out to
455 cubic inches. and can stand the kind of Pressures I am eventually expose
this motor to with the Turbo's someday.  And this Dart Block can be sleeved
if a cylinder is messed up.... My Machine shop guy and I talked about
sleeving a Factory Block and he was dead set against it. (400 only)... So
it's either a Bowtie block or a Dart.

None of this would be really nessesary but the Valves in the 18 degree heads
are the size of a 3lb coffee can...2.170 and 1.65  if you try and stick them
in a Smaller bore you really need to clearence the cylinder wall, and the
valves would still be shrouded.   All of this work to stay in the D class.

I have always respected Guys Like Tom and John for running Tiny motors and
going really fast....( Yeah Dave I understand a D motor is the size of
Chicago to you )  Well there you have the tale of why I asked the
question... I was surprise no one called me on the "what in the hell are you
doing to come up with a 305.11)

Keith ( yeah I know I am clueless... and Yes Brad set me straight )

Bottom Line is that I bought a 2.85 stroke crankshaft yesterday.