Re: traction control

To: "dahlgren" <dahlgren@uconect.net>, <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: traction control
From: "Jim Bickford" <jbickford@volcano.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:02:17 -0800
Dave,

In Production Classes, if the car has OEM traction control it is legal.
All other classes active computer or non-driver controlled traction
devices are illegal (II-17 Computer). Most of these devices use
a computer to activate the rear brakes or random kill cylinders (like rev
control)
when the is a RPM differential from the front wheel and rear wheel
speed sensors.

The driver can of course manually apply the rear brakes when
he or she feel the rear tires spin. The most successful way
of dealing with wheel spin in the big lakesters or streamliners
is to use a slipper clutch either weighted or controlled by the
driver. The clutch generally is only fully engaged about the last
1/4-3/8 mile at El Mirage.

If everybody had as good a feel for what the car was doing as Freddie
Dannenfelzer all this complication would be unnecessary.

Jim Bickford