RE: World, National Records

To: "'Ron Christensen'" <ron.christensen@wsapr.com>,
Subject: RE: World, National Records
From: "Ron Christensen" <ron.christensen@wsapr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:34:56 -0700

John,

Certainly Bonneville is indeed International in its' scope of competitors,
but for a record to be considered a "World Record" and "Internationally"
recognized by all nations there has to be one organization that sanctions or
approves the record and assures that the record was achieved under fair
conditions and rules in regards to the previous record holder.  Thus we have
FIA and FIM.  Not perfect by any means, but the best we've got.  Without
them, we would have World Records being claimed by anybody all over the
globe.  We have that anyway, but usually it's some outrageous kook claiming
he went 1000 MPH in a sedan with a rocket engine stuck in his trunk.

When Al goes 425 two ways within an hour it will be a World record if it is
timed accurately.  But if I currently held the World Record at 424.999 I
would want to make damn sure that the timing was fair.  Wouldn't you? (I am
of course disregarding the old FIA 1 percent rule on this example.) Having
the watchful eye of FIA would be reassuring that my record was defeated
fairly.

A National Record would fall under the same situation as far as requiring
that the timing is fair and accurate.  We have a pretty good system here in
the United States . . . fortunately all our timing organizations and
personnel are all well-known and reputable.  But what if some new group of
people that we had never heard of started running speed events on some air
base somewhere and claiming all kinds of new records.  Would you not want to
be assured that their timing equipment was accurate and their class
regulating was fair before you relinquished one of your records?

I am in complete agreement with you as far as El Mirage, Muroc and Maxton
(or wherever we run next) being considered National Events but the records
should only be approved if the sanctioning body is accepted by all as being
capable of timing accurately and fairly and capable of regulating class
rules, etc.

Having a recognized sanctioning body is just a way of making everybody play
by the same rules and helps prevent anyone from profiting by timing or rules
mistakes either honest or otherwise.