Re: Flathead V1

To: V4GR@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flathead V1
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 05:19:41
Didn't some of the 2 stroke motorcycles use reed valves? Of course they
don't function against combustion pressure, just crankcase pressure cycles.
I would think that the flow provided by a reed valve would be inferior to a
poppet vavle since the reed is usuallin the way of the flow coming straight
out. Since the combustion pressure is till pretty high in the chamber at
BDC how would you open the exahust reed? For that matter, how would you
keep it closed? Hmmmmm... seems implausible to me, but that's what this
country great! People doing things that couldn't be done. Good subject..

mayf

At 04:10 PM 2/23/00 EST, V4GR@aol.com wrote:
>I was thinking a little about reed valves and combustion pressure, and I
>thought about Pulse Jets as used in the V1 Buzz Bombs. That is basically a
>reed valve, combustion chamber, injector nozzle, ingiter, and open exhaust.
>Couldn't have much combustion pressure, but enough to lift at least 1000
lbs?
>I guess a reed valve could be made pretty solid, but than it would be slow
>acting I think. 3 or 4 "automatic valves" that open when exposed to vacuum
>could be placed around the spark plug. Any input on this? I don't want to do
>it I just want to think about it.   Rich Fox

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
ph: 1-256-837-1051

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemayf

lemay@hiwaay.net

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)