Two Stroke Performance

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Two Stroke Performance
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:45:07 -0500 (EST)
Group.  The Detroit Diesel has been extolled for its qualities, and I
gather we also like it because that's where the 71-series blower cores
come from.

I feel compelled to point out that when you talk high-performance two
strokes, the 250cc (15 cu.in.) and 500cc (30 cu.in.) engines used today
in World Championship Grand Prix Motorcycle road- racing put out SIX
horsepower per cubic inch reliably on race gas for events up to 200
miles or more.  250s are limited to two cylinders and 500s to four
cylinders.

Factory specials put out that level of performance, but production
racers by Honda and Yamaha, sold to the public for reasonable prices,
are very close in output.  The 250s weigh around 220 lbs, handle like a
thought, and with 85 or more horsepower, I understand they are
tremendous fun to ride.  Something like having wheels on your body, or
flying without an airplane.

Wish someone would bring one out to ECTA, I imagine stock it would do
150 or better in the standing mile.  Cheap thrills.  But don't expect me
to do it, I've got more than enough on my plate trying to get my XXF/GR
working right.

Cheers from ArdunBill down in the Great Dismal Swamp, Chesapeake, VA,
where it's been warm enough the last three days to get the old bike out
for a ride.  When ArdunBill gets to ride his bike, the women are
prettier, the sky is bluer, and food tastes better!