Re: Two Stroke Performance

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Two Stroke Performance
From: Carl Dreher <focusrsh@arn.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:27:45 -0600
ardunbill@webtv.net wrote:

> I feel compelled to point out that when you talk high-performance two
> strokes, the 250cc (15 cu.in.) and 500cc (30 cu.in.) engines used today
> in World Championship Grand Prix Motorcycle road- racing put out SIX
> horsepower per cubic inch reliably on race gas for events up to 200
> miles or more.  250s are limited to two cylinders and 500s to four
> cylinders.

=======

I ran a PRODUCTION classes (lights, mufflers, etc.) Cagiva 125cc
motorcycle at Bonneville in 1988.  32HP from 7.6 cubic inches.  Factory
racers get close to 44.

Someday I wish I can see the Kreidler racer that set a record in the
1960's (I believe.)  It was a supercharged 2-stroke 50cc that got 15HP.
All those 5 bazillion HP four-engined LSR cars are fun but honestly, I
think the tiny specials that go 150 MPH on two rubber bands are SO much
more impressive!

- Carl