Re: Flathead V1 (2 cycle?)

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flathead V1 (2 cycle?)
From: "Hyatt Engineering Ltd." <Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:13:58 -0500
Chuck,
If you liked the old Detroit Diesels I will try to find you references or
links to a few of the military 2-stroke diesels that are even cooler.  One
of the Junkers bombers of the last world war was powered by an opposed
piston 2-stroke diesel.  It was an in-line engine with two pistons per
cylinder and a pair of crankshafts, one in the normal location and one on
top with a train of spur gears connecting them.  Unlike the DD product it
had no cams or poppet valves, but intake ports uncovered by the pistons at
the bottom of the sleeve and exhaust ports at the top of the sleeve.  That
engine held the record for specific power from a diesel for decades and is
the only diesel to power an aircraft to my knowledge.
The last of our pre-nuke subs used 2-stroke diesels that also had two
pistons per cylinder but only a single crank. The cylinders were horizontal
with the crank below them. Each piston had a con rod to a huge rocker arm,
and another con rod from the opposite side of the rocker to the crank.
There were eccentrics in the pivots of the rocker arms that could be
adjusted to shift the stroke of each piston in the cylinder to allow for
dynamic tuning of the timing and compression ratio. For example when
operating at part throttle the pistons would be shifted towards each other
to increase the compression, holding the absolute compression constant
rather than the ratio.
Greg