Re: Two Stroke Performance

To: focusrsh@arn.net
Subject: Re: Two Stroke Performance
From: "Joe Ready" <joespeedy@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:08:43 CST
Gentlemen,
I've been following the list for about a month now and it has been quite
interesting and very entertaining.  The reason that I'm writing now is the
information about the two strokes.  Apparently Carl knows what he is talking
about.  He also showed his age unless he reads alot.  Just for info, the
Suzuki 750 was meant to be a touring bike and did not have alot of power.
It's not a dog, however it was designed to be a big two stroke touring
machine at about the time two-strokes for the highway were dying. I haven't
had one so all my info is from talking and reading.  Most people refered to
them as a water buffalo.  The other two strokes mentioned might make an
interesting power plant for a car.  Like Carl said, if you want a TZ motor
it will be pricey.  Arguably, the Kawasaki 750cc triple two stroke (H2)
might be about the best choice around.  It is a small, compact motor.
It put out about 70-75 HP stock.  They can still be bought for a reasonable
price and they can be modified to put out a scary amount of power.

Now, I have a question.  I am designing a vehicle that will be classified as
a motorcycle sidecar.  I intend to run an old NORTON single in it at first.
The platform/chasis will be made of aerospace aluminum honeycomb. My concern
is getting the design accepted.  Honeycomb is incredibly strong when used
properly however, most people haven't messed with it.  Have other land speed
vehicles used honeycomb as a structural element? It defeats the purpose if I
have to run steel tubing all over it to get it approved.  I would be
interested in any experiences/advice that people would want to share.
Thanks again
joe