chopped tops

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: chopped tops
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 08:20:19 -0600
Howdy,
        Finally got my copy of the 2000 rule book, and I have a question or two
on
chopped tops. The rule book says, section IV -7; tops must be widened and
/or lengthened to maintain the stock silhouette of the vehicle.
        UHHH, whats this mean? I'm running a 1980 Dodge Colt, #3388, H/GCC and
chopped the top in 1991 according to section IV-9; ..contour is considered
to have been preserved as long as the angular relationship of the top to
the body proper is not changed. In other words, I cut seven inches off the
door posts, lengthened the windshield posts to meet the original position
of the start of the windshield, (which angled the windshield to 25 degrees)
and moved the top straight down (for the angular relationship description
of the rule)
        Stock silhouette? Does this mean that the angle of the windshield
viewed
from the side must remain Stock? with no laydown angle? Or is viewing from
the side considered contour?
        Or does stock silhouette mean the angle of the sides of the top
(windshield posts, door posts) to the body proper,  when viewed from the
front?
        Does this mean that I have to increase the width of the top so that, if
were to cut the stock door and windshield posts off at the final height of
the chopped top, and not bending the posts  inwards to meet the top, so
that I would have to increase the width of the top to meet the door and
windshield posts? I guess I am saying that the stock top is a truncated
cone, and in moving the top of the cone  downwards, this forces the angle
of the cone to increase, thereby changing the shape of the cone. (hmmm did
that description help or hinder? ) ahhh well, please try to figure out what
it is I'm saying....I'm rapidly becoming more confused......
Thanks,

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316