Re: Dry sump .We donn' need no stinkin' breathers!!!!

To: George Mitchell <americanpartner@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Dry sump .We donn' need no stinkin' breathers!!!!
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 09:31:28 -0600
George.....If you are using low tension rings and your getting blow-by,
then it stands to reason some power is getting into the sump.Any blow-by
is a waste of compressible power(work) that you've just got the fuel/air
to do. If, to make the power you are running, 14 or 15 to 1 compressions
then pumping losses are also eating HP.
It's been proved that above 15 to 1 that gains are too small to justify
the increased pumping losses and the added stress on
components....Presuming the gas can stand it too .
I ran a VW 1300cc Formula Vee a while ago and I made it 14 to 1 because
the small carbs restricted the breathing so much.If I could have used
the right size carbs it would have made more power from lower CR's
The blow-by on this engine was nearly zero and a leak down showed
1.5%.It made about 102hp.
As you probalbly know the highest loss from parasitic drag is the ring
sets but also a pumping loss from moving the crankcase air around in the
motor eats power, so, it's a good case for very low pressure in there
and a scavenge pump will still suck out the oil 'cos the vac is behind
the pump as well as in front.
  Wot u think?.................DK.
    (Scrap-Iron Racin')