e mail language and classification.

To: "Land-speed@autox.team.net" <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: e mail language and classification.
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:30:58 -0500
Just found a piece in a UK newspaper today which might explain why our
communications may not be read 'correctly' by others on the list.
US research (Stanford Business School, California) has confirmed that  "e
mail, though great for transmitting factual information, is not very good
for conveying tone and attitude.  An e mail intended to be direct can come
across as rude, one intended to be humorous can come across as hostile".
"The omission of a comma, exclamation mark, or question mark can ruin
working relationships by giving the wrong impression", says Professor
Michael Morris.  So that might explain our differences !!
The UK's senior timekeeper once called me a 'wheedling old bat' after I
kept a record attempt alive on a beach until the last possible moment.  He
nearly got his feet wet !!  I objected to the use of the word 'old' -
because I am 47, born in '52.
If someone wants to put me in a specific group - probably a 'know all,
wanabee, f**t, geezer',  I guess.
Should any one be interested this is my background:-
I have had an active interest in motorsport since 1963 (as a 'goffer') and
I have assembled my own cars for 'sprinting' (the UK equivalent of SCCA Pro
Solo) and worked with a circuit racing saloon car (sedan) team.  I have an
unused steam rocket car in my garage, alongside a jet engine for another
project and a 2 litre turbo diesel engined streamliner in another workshop
(built for UK runway use).  I drove the fastest car in Britain last year
for fun (Vampire jet dragster) after the owner set the UK record at 269
mph. I have spent the last 3 years or so working on Team Maximum Impulse
for Richard Brown with the fast rocket bike.  If I can find some time I
WANT to hold a speed record, but in the meantime I will continue to
organise attempts for others.  I have organised 8 out of the last 10
outright UK attempts made by car and bike since 1995/1996.  I support the
Speed Record Club at its non competitive events in UK and Europe, I was its
Chairman for 5 1/2 years.  In 2000 and 2001 I will be organising an amateur
rocket space launch - "speed straight up" and in late 2001 or 2002 its
another World Land Speed record attempt.
Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.