Re: Salt Flats Issue

To: LandSpeed Louise Ann Noeth <lanspeed@west.net>,
Subject: Re: Salt Flats Issue
From: George Mitchell <americanpartner@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:17:42 -0800 (PST)
Hey there list,
I have hesitated to to speak up on this kind of stuff
but have decided to go ahead and do so .
I am a lawyer and I live and work in DC. I don't
practice or go to the courthouse (to keep my sanity).
sometimes I am hesitant because lawyers often get a
bad rap and they often deserve it . The problem is
that if you went ot law school you tend to get lumped
in with the bad guys through guilt by association. I
worked my way through school doing something that I
love which is working on cars and racing them and I am
proud of the fact that I can chat about legal issues
with  one group and gear ratios with another.
 Nuff Said.

 I think it is important to remember that
environmental groups throughout the country could
definitly screw up our summer with the right
motivation. With due cause and "impact study" could
close races down until proper evidence is gathered
that could lead to no conclusions at all. In the
meantime , the salt could be closed to everyone
waiting for some geologists to compile a series of
papers on the matter.

Although it is true that this might not be an imediate
danger, the forces against us are certainly not going
to let us know that they are in motion. They will
simply act . A simpathtic judge could ruin a summer
for sure .

Will something of this magnitude happen? I seriously
doubt it . Should you still prepare ? Sure .
Think of all of those who benefit from the races
economically and let tham know that this is a
possibility. That means organisations like The Utah
Tourism Board ( or whatever is applicable ), The Hotel
/Motel Assoc, the local Chamber of Commerce, etc--
whoever would stand to lose by the closing of the salt
to motor traffic.

Recently I saw 60 Minutes 2 and there was a story
about ranchers who were being put out of business
because environmentalist had forced the reintroduction
of the Grey Wolf into the territory close to thier
ranches ( Wow , that was an awful sentence). I am sure
that these rancher never saw it coming either. Not
until it was too late . Now they are just trying to
catch up.

My 2 cents still only cost 2 cents. That's what makes
me different.

 George in DC
 The Hemi Porsche Guy
"Mixing '50s technology with '70s inadequacy to ad my
name to the history books "

--- "\"LandSpeed\" Louise Ann Noeth"

=== message truncated ===