1183 Update

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1183 Update
From: Jane McMeekin <jmcmeekin@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:12:00 -0500
I've never really like the "lurker" term used to describe listeners -
sounds too much like some "I told you so" type waiting for a chance to
arrest another list member for committing a verbal crime of some sort.
So I'm a listener with a little mouth and big ears.

Anyway, Keith seems to think that some of our group might be interested
in what the McMeekin Bros. have been up to during the most recent
reloading period (read Ohio winter). The F/GC Skyhawk (Monza) ran pretty

well last year, but like so many of our land speed buddies, we wanted
more. Since our little Buick V8 is just about tapped out, (we did add a
vacuum pump, and redesigned the air intake this winter) the path to
greater speed seems fairly clear -- push less air. Now that's a
revelation. Should be as simple matter of lowering the car 2" all around

and trimming the front air dam a like amount. Wonder why we didn't do
that in the first place!

After looking things over we discovered the reason. Thank goodness it
wasn't just stupidity as we had suspected. Turns out that the pan, lower

"A" firm mounts, "K" member, and the bell housing blow shield are all 2"

or less from the pavement. No one in their right minds would change all
of that for a measly 2 inches.

Well, we damned near broke our necks getting started! It took all winter

and about a grand for the modifications, and we aren't even sure that it

will make a significant difference. But it beats shoveling snow or
watching TV .

Anyway, if anyone out there is interested in B.O.P. Alum. V8s, or
Monzas, give me a yell. I can probably tell you all I know in about 30
secs.
Don