Re: Brakes, batteries and Al

To: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes, batteries and Al
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 07:59:22 -0700
List,

Just saw the new Raybestos CERAMIC brake pads at the car show over the last
weekend.  They are built for the type of high demand braking that is
required on the salt.  That might be a better way to handle brake fade.
They claim that these increase in efficiency as they get hotter.

Back to a thread from earlier in the year, they had some new spiral cell
batteries there with a much stronger case than the traditional batteries.
We had some discussion with some racers there about requiring this type of
battery for ALL salt racers.  The cost isn't that much greater and the
advantage for rescue crews and drivers of having any acid that might be
spilled in an incident more securely contained seems to make it a
no-brainer.  Any comments?

As for Al Teague and the Motorsports Hall of Fame.
His Bonneville accomplishments are without a doubt the type of thing we
would want to expose to the world in any way possible.  Al is the "Boy
Scout" image kind of guy who makes us all better by association as well as
an excellent  representative of hot rodding in that elite group.
The newsletters from ECTA, USFRA and SCTA as well as Bonneville Racing News
could all be the best way to start an organized drive to put his name up for
nomination.  I doubt htere is anyone connected with land speed racing who is
not exposed to one of these publlications.  All we need are addresses and
the protocol for nomination.
Keith?  Tell us all you know!

Wes Potter  Secretary, USFRA