Re: 454 Truck Motor

To: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>
Subject: Re: 454 Truck Motor
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:21:17 +0000
Doug,

As you well know, you can't get too radical with the cam when you use a TBI
unit but all of the cam manufacturers have a good selection of Rv stuff.
Headers were worth 1 MPG, besides the cast iron manifolds were warped and I
didn't feel like machining them again. I used the stock intake manifold with
a spacer from a turbo company, I can't remember their name(CRS has set in).
The company sent me two different thickness' and you have to play with it
but it was worth 1 1/2 MPG. They also sell chips, I used the more radical
one that requires a thermostat change. All in all , I went from 4.5 towing
to 9 plus, 11 to 12 around townwithout the box. This was a crewcab dually
with 4 wheel drive( at least 1500# heavier than the 2 wheel verison,I
guess).

 I have changed the 4:11 rear to a 3:73...it was a mistake. The RPM was too
low and it took too much throttle to pull the trailer. I went from 8 MPG to
6. I was pulling a 28FT box that weighted 5800#.

I hope this helps...my two cents!

joe