Re: Fastest GT/MS car ever

To: Tim Schoeny <j82244@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Fastest GT/MS car ever
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:01:33 -0700
Tim,

I will tell you what little I know about Juris. He appeared at the 1987
World of Speed mid week, running a Corvette. He made two passes and
parked the car. I went to his pit and talked to him after he set the the
B/GT record at 257.139 MPH. He was running an Aluminum Arias big block
Chev. He said he didn't intend to run again at that meet because was
running out of gear. It was an very impressive car.

The next year he came back and set the AA/GT record at 266.450 MPH.
According to an ad in the Bonneville Racing news, Juris also drove the
Doc Jeffries and SanChez Corvette in 1988 to a one way speed of 271.044
MPH. If you look in the Bonneville rule books prior to 1995 you won't
see his record because it was a World of Speed record. I believe that
the USFRA and SCTA/BNI records were combined in 1995.

The next time I remember him at the Salt, was in 1994 when he crashed.
He was running against his record, with a time of 252 MPH. He crashed
when deploying the chute, I believe, resulting in the loss of an arm.

This is to best of my memory, along with some searching of my archives.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC