Re: Air Ride Tech

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Ride Tech
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 23:51:20 -0400
Keith you finally hit on something I know about. Remember you called
me the "Electronic Geek" first time you met me. I have a basic idea of
what you want to do is collect the pressure data during a run. Spikes
are no problem remember you see them on the tach read outs. It can be
done several different ways. I have some sensors that can measure
linear displacement you can use these at the 4 corners. This would
give you information as to the change in ride height not a true
indication of down force. The use of pressure sensors at the air
springs would only indicate an increase in pressure as downforce
increased, still no true indication as to how much down force. Another
way I see of measuring this is with what we call a load cell or strain
gage placed under each air spring. With the car at a stand still you
would get a reading of each corner weight. As down force increased so
would the load on the strain gage. The problem with this I see is the
motor torque placing more load on one side than the other. Mayf may
correct me on this, but you could average the sides to get an idea of
the down force for the front and back. With what you want to do you
are talking Black Box territory. Maybe me and one of the other
"Electronic Geeks" from work could whip up something simple since you
already carry the printer.

BillB
"Maybe I am way off target here"