Re: More "Open-Road Racers" at B-ville

To: Higginbotham Land Speed Racing <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Subject: Re: More "Open-Road Racers" at B-ville
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:34:23 -0700
This is really a small world. I am on another list with both Marz &
Schumacher. Was hoping to meet them last week end, but things didn't work
out. I led  a group of 30 members from one of the local Corvette clubs up
there, and was playing mother hen all week-end. (Trying to keep them out of
the Starlight Ranch the night before the race, etc.) I spend a lot of time up
there trying to "sell" the 130 & 150 Clubs. The main objection is "that's too
slow" or "why do I need a roll bar to go 150 MPH when I can tech to 165
without one for open-road racing?) I just tell them to reserve their opinion
until they try it. As for safety equipment,  Glen, you guys would have a cow
if you saw what tech will allow these guys to get away with! For example:
single layer driving suit, no roll bar, no fire system will still get you
teched to 165 mph! Like Tom said, most of our rules have been bought & paid
for by somebody elses blood; In the old days, more safety equipment was
required, but they usually only had 60 or so entrants. They have relaxed
requirements in order to increase participation. There is a price to be paid
for this trade-off eventually.
Ed