New Category "Muscle Cars"

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: New Category "Muscle Cars"
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:24:02 -0400
    List

    Have been out of town pretty much for a week now, between Maxton and my
son's golf tourney, had about 155 e-mails on the 'puter'. So as I finish
reading almost all of them looks like Dan has struck a cord that most all of
us have comments or some feelings on. Guess its time to interject my
thoughts as well.

1, The thought of more classes at 'Maxton' is enough to make me run around
the yard, screaming wildly and pulling my hair out (and it's already getting
to thin now). We already have double the 'scooter' classes back east. Oh God
that's 150 more classes.

2, OK I'll get over #1 in a minute. It's an administrative thing. Moving on,
lets define the main (primary) reason for this category. Is it an
AERODYNAMIC issue or is it an ELECTRONICS issue????

3, If there is a time period for this category '49 to ???? Cut it off at 25
or 30 years, not 1981. If that winds up at 1973 or 1978 so be it (Keith, I
would guess, can claim his '80 Camero is a '73). A '78 Mustang is still a
lot more aerodynamic than a '68 Mustang. So even with a 25 or 30 year cut
off I don't see anyone running to the garage to take the '57 Chevy out of
mothballs to run on the "salt". Basically your going to have a proliferation
of '70's cars with an occasional '53 Stude thrown in. OK, so weren't true
"Muscle Cars" built in the 60's and early 70's anyway? The more I think
about this proposal the more I think a 25 year cut off is the appropriate
way to go.

4, As for "electronics". Simple, keep it limited to the technology of the
time. Carburetors, mechanical fuel injection, electronic CD ignition
systems. But don't forget, by the late 70's there were already some forms of
'puters' in cars, almost everything was electronic ignition, and MSD had
crank triggers on the market. So if your going to allow cars to '81 your
already on you way into the "electronics" age. To my way of thinking, if
this is an issue maybe we should definitely make the cut at 1973 and
eliminate all electronics from the class period.

    Obviously there are going to be differing view points on this issue, but
I hope these that I have just offered will be taken as constructive.

    John (its headed to 87 in WNC today) Beckett