Re: Trailer Towing Tips

To: Phillip Landry <saltracer@netscape.net>
Subject: Re: Trailer Towing Tips
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 07:23:37 -0700
Phillip,
I remember well the problems people had when tandem axle trailers first
came on the scene. Several race cars were dumped because of loss of
control. One of the first experiences I recall was George Hansen of
Whittier CA who towed his Corvette to Bonneville from LA at a maximum
speed of 35 MPH.

The main problem encountered towing a tandem is whipping, especially
downhill. These trailers have to have adequate tongue weight or they can
be very stressful to drive. You will get different stories from people
you talk to about this, but my advise is, if it whips, it is tail heavy,
move the load forward. (Just like a race car the center of gravity
thing.)

Your tow vehicle may be a little under powered, but will make the trip
I'm sure. Overdrive will be of no use except going down hill, I suspect.
We have towed for years with GMC trucks. The 307 was under powered, the
350 worked well, and our current 325 Vortex is a great rig. We have
always towed in overdrive except on long grades even though the
manufacture suggests otherwise. Our new truck has a tow mode which
allows towing in overdrive.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Salt.

Tom, Redding CA, where we are in a cooling trend. Only 102 forecast for
today. #216 D/CC