"STUFF" and more stuff....

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: "STUFF" and more stuff....
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:08:50 GMT
                  "STUFF  FOR  SALE" …or trade ?

Though I've had second thoughts about it, I've decided that it would be OK
to post this here on the list -in light of the fact that there's been a lot
of lighthearted banter and occasional jokes on here, and because someone
here might actually find  something that they can use. I hope no one feels
this out of place or takes offense…  If you do, delete it and go on.  Fair
enough ?   But I think most of you will agree that there's some nice things
here of interest for all Land Speed Racers.

   Besides, I'd like to give you guys "first shot" at this stuff.

Anyway, as an adult chasing a degree in Full Time College the last year and
a half, I haven't had the time or energy to try to do any swap meets to
swap, or sell off my garage full of accumulated parts and pieces. The pile
has gotten big- and lately, I've had some setbacks (for example, just last
month I had to unexpectedly buy a car for college transportation after the
old one bit the dust) and with more to come, it's time for me to part with
some of my "stuff."
Nez Pa?

Before I list what I have, I thought I'd mention what I'm looking FOR in the
chance that some of you may have something to swap me.
                                     Maybe we can all be "winners"

I have this long-term goal to build a really traditional HOT ROD '28 Ford
Roadster Pick Up.   (-like the one I would have built in High School in 1950
-had I been there; just about like "E. Rick Mann's" photo car ) I'm looking
for some good old Flathead Ford engine parts; Heads, Intake manifolds,(2 & 3
carb)ignition, or other good pieces. If you've got something' squirreled
away that you'd be willing to part with to help me out, then maybe we can do
some swappin'.  This path I've taken sure doesn't allow me much time for
much "shoppin'and swappin" -not to mention that actual money is scarce
commodity for me right now.  But you know how it is; I've got this  "jones"
I gotta feed -just like you do…

I'm looking for a transmission with some sort of overdrive so this monster
can be driven cross country on interstate highways without winding the
bejeebers out of a nice flathead motor that I will put lots of TLC into.
Some of the choices I've been considering are the original equipment '49-'53
Ford and Mercury 3 speeds with OD, and the 1970's Ford toploaders,-the so
called "3 speed with Overdrive" that Ford built for a couple years using the
standard 4 speed toploader as a basis.  I guess some of them were of cast
iron and others aluminum…  I know a lot of folks are now using the newer T5
Tremec and Borg Warner 5 speeds, but I'd really rather not if I can get
something else to work for me. I'd like to keep the project more "honest" to
the goal of an authentic'50s rod if I can, and I think a 3 speed would work
just fine anyway.  I thoroughly believe in the K.I.S.S. approach to hot
rodding.

So… without further ado, or waste of YOUR time, here's what I've got:

-A pair of EDELBROCK 1958-64 era finned aluminum Valve covers that fit
all'58-up Chevy V8s, -these are the classics with the old style script name
in the middle of them. Expensive and rare then, rare now.  I restored these
to absolutely MINT condition myself, beautifully polished, with sanded fins.
  These are the real deal with real history behind them
                                     these came from So-Cal...  $175.

-Just ONE circa 1955-60 OFFENHAUSER finned aluminum valve cover; fits
'55-'59 Chevy V8 heads with the STAGGERED screw holes
                                            -in MINT condition.  $50

-An EDELBROCK VICTOR JR. intake manifold; fits '55-'84 SBC. In like new
condition,-all glass beaded, detailed, and ready to install.
                                                       $85

-Matched Pair;300 MPH GOODYEAR FRONTRUNNER tires; -believe that these are
the tallest (4.5" X 15" X 28") size that Goodyear makes.  Ultra light
weight. Great for front use for LSR as well as Drag Racing,… and many have
used these as drive tires for LSR with good results on cars up to around 200
on the salt….  Purchased NEW,-NEVER MOUNTED or run. Stored cool and dry.
                                             Cost $ 240  asking $200

-Four ANSEN 15" Spun aluminum wheel discs  -yeah, just like MOON's…
                  maybe these are 25 years old?  NEW in the boxes $60

-A "ready to race" FORD 9" cast iron "pumpkin" with 5:43 Richmond gears on a
billet steel Strange Engineering 31 spline Spool. All new Bearings and
seals.  Completely brand new, assembled, never run. Just the thing for
Nostalgia Drags…    It cost me $575 to put this together eleven years ago….
        I'll let it go "cheap" at $475 -Hey, it's new.
                                               Or swap me something.

-I have a pair of old flathead Ford car transmissions; one is a topshift '36
or'37 model in good shape except that somebody crunched the ends of the gear
teeth on the tailshaft….  It is driveable as is, and very fixable but you
could build a really nice one using the pieces out of the other tranny
-which is an absolutely cherry 1941-'48 column shift transmission with the
later higher and "closer" gear ratios that are more desirable for today's
driving requirements….  All these Ford internal transmission parts
interchange, so it is a bolt in deal. The result is a "top shifted late
model" trans. I was going to use these myself, but decided that for my long
distance needs that some kind of an overdrive would be necessary.  Perhaps
though, you might use them ?
             Swap me for other Flathead parts ?  What have ya' got?

-A MOROSO  Distributor Timing indicator; use for easy last minute visual
adjustments right at the distributor.  made of solid aluminum with
increments and pointer. Very high quality racing piece.
    New, never used - fits all "small" Chev v8's…. maybe others?  $15

-A POTENTIAL RACE CAR;  Yup my good ol' daily driver that I just had to
replace.  It's a 1989 Thunderbird,-just about the same as Mike Cook's   The
3.8 V6 engine blew it's cookies at 179,000 miles, but the rest is in really
pretty nice condition…. some (not too serious ) body damage on the right
side, but absolutely NO rust -which is some kind of incredible for a New
York vehicle. But hey, I've taken good care of it for five years. It's an LX
model with all the options that were available except the moon roof.  The
car could very easily be put back together for the road too. I just don't
have the time right now to do anything with it myself with this College
thing I'm doing.  Transmission is a 4 speed automatic with overdrive and
worked great when the motor croaked last month…. It has a recent complete
brake system overhaul ($475!)and tires. The interior is clean -with no rips
or tears, and has a optional factory JBL audio system.  Paint is titanium
with light grey/tan cloth interior. You could "restore it"   On the other
hand, a really nifty, slippery racecar could be built out of it for not a
lot of bucks….
(what's Mike Cook gone…? 299? Humm….)
                                         -Come and get it for $300!
   Think of it;-that's only a dollar a ( potential ) mile per hour…!
                              WOW! -that IS cheap!

-HOT ROD MAGAZINE Collection; -complete from 1955 to 1970.
159 issues in all. 15 years of Hot Rod. The good years.  All with very nice
marked storage boxes. One issue missing (Aug.'55)  All are in "good" to
"very good" condition, with just enough smell to be "nostalgic."  You know
Hot Rods; some are worth $15-20 apiece and some of the later ones are just
worth a buck or two….    Absolutely a "must have" for good research!
After a lot of figuring, I value this collection at $1000-$1100.
           I'll let it go for $750 -you pay the freight or come and get'em.

-Other Odds and Ends; "GARAGE SALE"

-One 3 Spoke SUPERIOR  14 ½" diameter (3" dish) Steering wheel.  Has fat
black foam grip, with holes in chrome spokes, not new, but nice shape- $15

-One pair used Chrome plated front tubular Hot Rod shocks; in  nice shape.
                                                        8 ½-11' range   $20

-Two old small SEGAL "Mushroom" breathers; new in the bags!  1¾"x2"     $25

-15 Aircraft CAMLOCKS; small size -great for holding panels together!
like Dzus fasteners; both are used in aircraft…  hold your car together.$10

-A classic old HURST "T " Handle aluminum shifter knob  $10

-A Chrome Chevrolet smallblock  Timing chain cover-new.  $5

-55-60 issues of ROD & CUSTOM 1993-2000       lots of good reading….    $20

-50-55 issues of AMERICAN RODDER 1991-1998    lots more good reading…   $20

-I've got an extensive collection of Blues Music from the 1920's through the
1990's, -lots of old Auto Racing & Hot Rodding footage on Video (some REALLY
old…), and a large professionally compiled audio History of Rock & Roll,
1953-1969. I'm willing to make copies to swap for parts (-or maybe for other
music ?)  let me know, maybe I'll make up some kind of a list.

AND,UNLESS I MISS MY GUESS,
YOU GUYS MIGHT LIKE THIS OTHER NEAT MACHO GUY TYPE STUFF TOO;

-You know, "stuff" that's especially interesting to guys like us who like
loud, obnoxious, noisy things made of metal and wood -things like
motorsickles, airplanes, guns, music, -stuff like that…

Wow….an AUTOGRAPHED WASHBURN ELECTRIC GUITAR!  BRAND NEW, It's never even
been plugged in. Unbelievably I won this beauty in a radio contest, and I
can hardly play a jukebox.  I love music, and I'm entranced at what the
greats can do, but I'm all thumbs.  So, I figured I might as well sell this
gitar' and buy myself a good car radio to listen to the music instead of
tryin' to play it.
This beauty is Autographed by the Chicago Blues Great, LONNIE  BROOKS. Have
a photo of him actually signing it. -it's a Model EB-1,in  beautiful robin's
egg blue color.  These are priced at $275 in the stores….WITHOUT Lonnie's
autograph.  I think $200 is a heck of'a deal, don't you ? That would help me
get a new car radio for my coupe… -or some Flathead parts.

….and last but not least, for those of you who like things really loud,…

Back when I was a professional Gunmaker, my specialty was custom building
firearms in the style of those built in America, between, 1750 and 1850.
When men were men and guns were good -and wood.  When gunmakers were treated
with the respect due those who made it possible for others to eat and
survive. …Anyway, occasionally, I would build up a very special  rifle that
was outstanding in quality and decoration to display my skills to
prospective clients at shows and special events.  When I stopped Gunmaking
in 1990, one last rifle remained unsold….   It has been on my wall since
then, unfired. I have decided that I do indeed have too many guns-(I didn't
think that was possible….! ) but in order to move on to other things, I have
decided to offer it up for sale now (-or, perhaps an interesting trade….)
This particular piece was built in the style of rifle that might have been
built in eastern Pennsylvania around 1760. A rifle still showing the
influences of the "old country," in a style brought here by the early
gunmakers when they emigrated to the new world from what is now Germany…. A
Flintlock longrifle to be sure, but a shorter version than those that
evolved later on in Pennsylvania with a stouter barrel, with larger bore,
and a somewhat sturdier stock -in other words, just the ticket for great
hunting for up to, and including Bear and Elk.  My Flintlock rifles have
taken Whitetail, Mule deer, Antelope, Elk, Black bears, and Buffalo -pretty
much all the big game on this continent except for Grizzly bears.

This Rifle is top shelf in every regard; -with extra nice Baroque Relief
Carving, and fine Engraving,  It is finished in a beautiful patina
resembling a rifle that might be 15yrs. old or so.  If you are familiar with
antique firearms, you may know just how difficult it is to "age" new parts
to appear old, so that they might match the age on the rest of the gun they
are going on for a restoration for example.  This entire Rifle, while new,
appears old.  It took me a long time to develop the process to enable me to
"age" a piece to fool an experienced Museum curator…., but it was worth it,
as it adds a lot of charm to a brand new creation.  Sort of like "rubbing
the newness off" as it were.  It's full length stock has the beautiful
orange red tones of a fine violin, decorated with fully engraved solid brass
mountings in the Baroque style of the day, and sterling silver where
appropriate. The barrel is 58 caliber, and is 38 inches long. Its form is
what is referred to as  "tapered and flared". -what this means, is that the
gun "points" like it should; -comfortably, and right now, with great
balance.  A large sized very reliable Flint lock ignites the powder charge,
controlled by an early style single trigger with a delicate, decorative
pigtail. In fact,everything on this piece is about decoration -that's what
this period of Gunmaking was all about. The rifle weighs 8lb. To carry it, I
created a period perfect woven sling with early style iron "swivels" for it.
  I hate cliches, but, this rifle really should be seen to be appreciated.
I have photos available if you are serious.
The price?    Identical to 10 years ago;  $2495.00  …and a bargain at that.

Whew, we're done….  FINALLY.

Thanks to you all for your patience, indulgence and interest….
           Sorry this was so long-winded -but it's a lot of "stuff"!

I'd sure like to find some of those Flathead parts so I could start to build
a motor.  I need to keep my sanity and that might help. YOU could help.
Parts don't have to be in "great" shape.  Hell, I'm not in such great shape
any more myself….   "useable" might be good.    I can cherry them out.

So if you can see fit to part with a little bit from your lifelong stash
-something that hasn't see the light of day for twenty or thirty years,-that
maybe you'll honestly never find the time to use yourself anyway, maybe you
could see your way to help out a brother hot rodder who still believes in
doing things the "old way?"

Thanks again.

"Dirty Doug" Anderson  phone;(607)563-7167 after 7,evenings E.D.T.
                                         -or contact me "off list"….