Hits Home (non-LSR)

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hits Home (non-LSR)
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:42:08 -0700
"I was talking to my Dad about current events the other night. I
 asked him what he thought about the shootings at schools, our
 immoral President, the computer age and just things in general."
 He replied: "Gee, let me think a minute... I was born before
television,
 penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses,
Frisbees
 and the Pill. There weren't things like radar, credit cards,
laser beams
 or ball-point  pens. Man had not invented pantyhose,
dishwashers,
 clothes dryers, electric blankets, airconditioners and he hadn't
walked
 on the moon. Your Mom and I got married first-then lived
together.

 Every family had a father and a mother, and every kid over 14
 had a rifle that his dad taught him how to use and respect.
Until I
 was 25, called every man older than me 'sir'; and after I turned
25, I
 still called policemen and every man with a title, 'sir.' In our
 time, closets were for clothes, not for 'coming out of.'
Sunday's were
 set aside for going to church as a family, helping those in
need, and
 just visiting with your neighbors.

 We were before gay-rights, computer dating, dual careers,
day-care
 centers, and group therapy. "Our lives were governed by the Ten
 Commandments, good judgment and common sense. We were taught to
 know the difference between right and wrong, and to stand up and
take
 responsibility for your  actions.

 Serving your country was a privilege, living here was a bigger
 privilege. We thought fast food was what you ate during Lent.
 Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your
cousins.
 Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the
 evening breeze started. And  time sharing meant time the family
spent
 together in the evenings and weekends-not condominiums. We never
heard
 of FM radio, tape decks, CD's, electrictypewriters, artificial
hearts,
 word processors, yogurt or guys wearing ear rings.

 We listened to the 'big bands', Jack Benny and the President's
 speeches on the radio. I don't ever remember any kid blowing his
brains
 out listening to  Tommy Dorsey. If you saw anything with 'Made
in
 Japan' on it, it was  junk.

 The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school
exam.
 Pizza's, McDonald's and instant coffee were unheard of. We had 5
 and 10 cent  stores where you could actually buy things for 5
and 10
 cents. Ice cream cones, phone calls, rides on a street car, and
a Pepsi
 were all a nickel. And if you didn't want to 'splurge,' you
could spend
 your nickel on enough stamps to mail a letter and two postcards.

 You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, but who could afford
one?
 Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

 "In my day 'grass' was mowed, 'coke' was a cold drink, 'pot' was
 something your mother cooked in, and 'rock music' was your
grandmother's
 lullaby. 'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office, a 'chip'
meant a
 piece of wood,  'hardware' was found in a hardware store and
software
 wasn't even a word."
 "We were not before the difference between the sexes was
discovered, but
 we were surely before the sex change, 'Billy' has  two mommy's,
and
 pornography in a  family home and at newsstands. And we were the
last
 generation that was so dumb as to  think you needed a husband to
have a
 baby. No wonder people today call us old and confused, and there
is such
 a generation gap.

 ...and I'm only 53!!"