Re: Murphy's law

To: lona@finishlinecoatings.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Murphy's law
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:04:21 EDT
In a message dated 07/26/2000 4:46:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lona@finishlinecoatings.com writes:

<< Doug...I'll give you some more history on this antique motor when we get
 to B-ville.  In spite of all the problems, its still fun and I don't
 complain cause I love to do it!!
 Russ  #902 XO
 PS..Doug - they told me they shipped my new roller this morning to late
 for Speed Week this year. As I don't have any lifters yet. So will run
 with the McGurk I put in it in 1964.  Not the lift and center line I
 want, but it's what I got.  Lona can't understand how I can stay so calm
 with all these things happening. Hey, its part of life. I told murphy to
 buss off and you flat motor guys have your problems too. At lease it's
 not a dull life.
 RM
 PPS  Ed..what gears are you wainting for? I didn't know murphy had that
 many cousins.

Russ,
    Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. These Vintage engines are "Murphy's Law"
looking for a place to happen. I've made three passes total this year and
have had the heads and pan off my engine at least that many times.
    Right now I'm checking the heads again for the "umteenth" time. I
discovered that my exhaust springs were installed with only 100# on the seat,
tried one of those "handy-dandy" tools for removing the springs without
removing the head (it didn't work on the Ardun), and ended up removing the
heads again. I'm surprised the engine spun over 6000 at El Mirage and Muroc
with that little spring pressure. Maybe that's why it was beating-up the
exhaust seats. I also found one exhaust guide with the port end broken off.
With a little luck I'll fire the engine this weekend and then get on to
packing all the gear for Bonneville.
    Russ, if the coating business gets slow you could always do more writing.
You write an interesting letter. See you on the salt...........Ardun Doug King