Murphy's law

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Murphy's law
From: Finishline Coatings <lona@finishlinecoatings.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:53:56 -0700
O.K. List..here's the way it is!!
The following words do not refer to anyone living or dead, or are they
in any way intended to offend anyone - either living or dead.
So here goes..I think that there is a conspiracy going on..probably the
flat motor guys putting hexes on us inliners or some one let "murphy"
loose in our shop the last couple of weeks!he he heee.
About three weeks ago, we had a extra 400 turbo rebuilt sitting on the
shelf so that we could change it in the ton before B=ville.  We did 22
shows and swap meets throughout the NW this last winter and  spring with
about 200,000 miles on the trans and I knew it wouldn't pull the trailer
over the mountains. So, Saturday looked like a good day.  We borrowed a
trans jack, put the truck up in the air, cardboard on the drive way and
went to work.  Thought it would be about a 4-hour job start to finish.
Wrong!!! Got the old one out in an hour..looked everything over and the
out-put shafts are different.  (I don't do automatics-my mom told me
that the directions that came with me 60 years ago said that I was given
a left leg to work a clutch pedal and a right arm to shift a 4-speed.)
So, off to the trans man with the 2 autos.  Six hours later it's back in
the driveway ready to put in.  The 4-hour job has already taken 7.  So
get it all in and mostly hooked up..(also wanted to put on a cooler and
a new huge radiator I had built for going through the mountains). The
original was in the same condition as the trans.  Sunday I figured about
2-hours to finish it.  Wrong!! The hoses were to short, drilled a hole
in the overflow tank while drilling through the radiator bulk head to
run the cooler lines through.  I was the only one working Sunday so I
had a nice walk to the auto parts store to get what I needed.  About the
only thing that went right was the push bar mounts that I wanted to put
on while the truck was up in the air.  Anyway Monday comes and
everything looks good for getting the short block back this week.
Wrong!! Marlo calls me early Monday morning to tell me they gave me the
wrong rings (I'd even been talking nice about the motor the last month
so that it would go together right.) (I didn't call it a garbage truck
motor once!)
So went out to Marlo's shop and picked up the rings (can't blame this
onto the flat motor guys), Bruce ordered them for me and he's an
inliner! I think Murphys sitting on my shoulder - they have to make the
rings special cause these pistons have been in the motor since 1951.  We
were looking at this weekend to put the car on the chassis dyno. Wrong!!
Maybe next week.  Anyway, the reason Marlos putting the motor together
is because I don't have time with trying to get the truck and trailer
together and change all the pedals and shifter and steering wheel in the
roadster to fit Jacquie.  There just isn't time left to put this motor
together.  After 3 years, I finally get to take the car to Bville with
my own truck & trailer. They're not done by a long ways but at least I
can use them.  Anyway, back to the pistons and special made rings...the
pistons are Veniolla made in '51. Down through the years, I had to
replace 2 pistons. Back then ring sizes were different than today. So
unless I re-machine the ring lands, I'm stuck with having rings made.
Anyway, I'm letting Marlo handle this..he is a Great Friend.
I went to use the small lathe to machine some parts for the steering
extension and the carriage wouldn't move.So, take it all apart and fix
it. The thing is - it's worn out.  The lathe was made in 1917 and is a
real piece of junk but it still makes parts for me. So, 4-hours later,
it's working again and I can maybe get something done.  Looks like it
will be right down to the wire again this year... like last. At least no
more pop rivets and racer tape holding the body together while going to
the starting line.
Doug...I'll give you some more history on this antique motor when we get
to B-ville.  In spite of all the problems, its still fun and I don't
complain cause I love to do it!!
Russ  #902 XO
PS..Doug - they told me they shipped my new roller this morning to late
for Speed Week this year. As I don't have any lifters yet. So will run
with the McGurk I put in it in 1964.  Not the lift and center line I
want, but it's what I got.  Lona can't understand how I can stay so calm
with all these things happening. Hey, its part of life. I told murphy to
buss off and you flat motor guys have your problems too. At lease it's
not a dull life.
RM
PPS  Ed..what gears are you wainting for? I didn't know murphy had that
many cousins.