Re: Mercedes 300 SLs and several related items

To: landspeedracer@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Mercedes 300 SLs and several related items
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:19:55 EDT
      John,  Thanks !    You are probably quite correct .  This is one of
those
" I heard that ...... this - that - etc " ...... things that has been popping
up in conversations for over four decades or more now !   I have never
actually done
any research into it ....... could spend a lotta time doing that !    I,
myself, have
only heard the Nitromethane Version , but always thought that it was only
used in an  ALL OUT emergency situation, such as the Luftwaffe pilot had a P
51
Mustang breathing down his neck !   I  do not think an aircraft could carry
enough
nitromethane needed to feed those huge aircraft engines for any sustained
usage ,
even if it only injected, say,  5 to 15 % , and seldom doing that  ........
       Any of you pilots / aircraft buffs out there able to shed a little (
accurate )
light on this ???    I agree with John ...... it was probably  Nitrous
Oxide, and
even then,  ONLY for all out bursts of aerial acceleration when REALLY needed
!
        Bruce,  counting the days now ...... like most of us !