Mercedes 300 SL's

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Mercedes 300 SL's
From: William McIntyre <acromac@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:08:37 -0800
--
Bill McIntyre
IAC 3269
acromac@worldnet.att.net

Greetings
Here in the Phoenix area in the late 50's-early 60's Gus Stallings
regularly ran his 300SL at the drags.He was the owner of Stallings
Auto Imports.He also ran the car at Bville.I dont recall his speed/et
at the dragstrip but he regularly beat all but the most well-tuned and
driven stock Corvettes.I think I recall that he ran just under 150 at
the salt.Gus was a very distinguished appearing gentleman,ALWAYS
impeccably dressed.He always had time to talk racing with those of us
who stopped by.I was early/mid 20's at the time and Gus must have been
mid 50's.I think his 300SL was a 1955 vintage,all white.At the
starting line,waiting for the flagman to wave him off against a
Vett,he would put the gas pedal down and just let it "soak".We all
used to marvel that the engine didnt "grenade"
Gus is just one of a long list of good memories I have of the people
who race.
Bill McIntyre,driver,Hopper Automotive AHRA record holding A/Altered.
1960-1963
--
Bill McIntyre
IAC 3269