Re: Timing and rod length

To: Bill Bennett <benettw@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Timing and rod length
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 07:37:14 -0400
interesting site but unfortunately anyone that #1 thinks in terms or
'vacuum' in the cylinder does not really get it yet!!!! The mention of
good ports heads with no reference to the square inches in the runner,
not the cc's by the way another # that is prone to a whole variety of
errors and limits all research done to a specific cylinder head as
opposed to universally applied data.  The mathematics that describe all
of the events that relate to rod length go far beyond the wishful
thinking that is going on at this web site....... There is no sucking
going on in the intake manifold or cylinder period. You have a delta P
across the port.  The speed of the piston at any given point in the
stoke along with the rod length, the area of the port, the area of the
valve, the valve lift, the taper/length of the intake port, the volume
of the plenum(if not IR), the area of the exhaust headers, the length of
the header, the area of the collector, the length of the collector, the
point of intake closing on the cam, the compression ratio, and a few
other factors will  determine the cylinder filling.  The mathematics are
not for the calculator impaired by any means.  The most glaring problem
i see with the explanation given at this page is the omission of the
port area which has the strongest relationship to rod ratio.
My humble opinion anyway of what i read......Hope to see you all in
impound just got an H engine off the dyno for a little lakester.. only
made 240hp @ 10300 and nosed over to 225hp @ 11300 but enough i think at
the rear wheels for a H/GL....
Dahlgren