Dyno Results ( Long )

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dyno Results ( Long )
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 23:44:29 -0500
Well went over to the Dyno and the Motor Lived.... Life is Grand once
again..

Didn't say it Breathed... Just said it Lived... Made 566hp at 7800 Rpm and
ran out to 8400 before the 8800 Rpm Chip kicked in.... It's Standard for the
MSD plug in's to start kicking in Early.. about 3-400 Rpm in our case
today....

Bummer was the Motor Needed to make 630 to be competitive and We would be
Well Short of that Number for a Gas Altered.... SOOOOO I guess we are a Fuel
Altered unless Uncle Dave Dalgren can work some of his Magic..

What I learned today could fill a book.... I had my classic Late Start and
didn't snag my Tools on the way out the door... causing me to use his... BIG
MISTAKE... as My Dyno Guy don't have Much in the way of Tools...

and the second Part of what I learned is what I needed to know about the Cam
Shaft.... and Changes to the cam timing and Valve clearence.... Basically we
did Two Pulls... first one as a Base line the the second with a 4 degree
change to the cam shaft.... started with the cam set at 106 and moved it to
110....Both pulls were about Equal in Hp but the second had the Hp and
Torque shorter in range....  and a Bit higher in the Rpm range.... the 106
gave us a Really Broad HP curve the the 110 kinda shortened the curve a
Ton....

The Reason the 110 is important at all is that we came back home and started
studying the actual Valve Clearance at 10 before and After TDC.... what we
found is that the 100 thousandths clearance we needed was avalible with 1.65
rockers and a change of Push Rods... on Both Intake and Exhaust... with the
Cam at 110.... and we are currently running 1.5 rockers... This whole deal
really looks like it wants more Cam then we have.... currently it's a .638
lift and the 1.65's will make it a 699 lift..... which may make it
competitive... sure would be nice to have a bunch more time to play with
these things on a Dyno... it's just not going to happen anymore then the
Rodeck is going to be ready...

Okay enough for Now... I am TIRED... time to go to Bed and get some sleep
before we swap out the Dyno Gear tomarrow....  K