Re: Eight Pipes

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com (Dick J), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Eight Pipes
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:19:34 -0400 (EDT)
Eight straight pipes 2" x 48" is what I have on my Ardun.  I copied the
factory racing pipes on the Vincent Black Lightning.  They were usually
only 44" long, but I have an original factory set that are 48".  The
cylinder size (500cc) was close to my Ardun, and the valve timing very
similar, so I figured, how could it be wrong?  A factory Black Lightning
on 80-10-10 (methanol-petrol-benzole) took the World's Motorcycle Speed
Record with these pipes at 185 mph in New Zealand in 1955, running on a
two-lane public road closed for the occasion,  the bike was privately
owned (Russell Wright) and ridden by the owner.  This was the immortal
team of (Bob) Burns & Wright, as every Vincent man knows.

Having said all that,  I know that the lore today is that four into one
makes more power on V-8s.  But Willie Glass' Ardun that just set the
XXF/GR record at 159 at Maxton has eight short straight pipes (don't
know the diameter and length at the moment).  Cheers, Bill