Re: Speedweek 2000

To: DrMayf@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedweek 2000
From: TFC1932@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:36:20 EDT
Hi i returned from the salt monday night late. i had only three days helping
out jack and keiko costella and gang.  this was my first time out and it was
overwhelming to the senses. it was a dream come true. and to top it off Jack
broke the record in the fuel streamliner G class (open) second  pass 227.
something.  The run the day before was done without the water pump on so when
he returned the plugs were melted.  after the record run we checked the plugs
and there was water on them.  we did the compression and it ranged from 60 to
160.... Put in some bars leak torqued the head and got ready for the next
morning. Oh yeah he only had third gear. do we pull the trans? no, we couldnt
cause we would might be in bigger trouble.  The morning was beautiful.  the
sunrise was amazing. we were in line with neb. ther. 2 going just before us,
he got a record in the 1 ltr. streamliner class.  also dozer and hegerty in
line before us and they got a record at 364 (something). these are three cars
Jack costella was invloved with.  it was quite amazing. well he lined up and
went with  a poor compression motor, overheated motor and only third gear.
At mile five the rod let loose and punched a 6" hole in the block. But the
record was had with a 223 average.  Rich fox said in the pits that the motor
was built just right, strong enough to run two times and to get a record. now
it goes to the junk heap whence it came from.  i found a 4" piece with part
of the serial number  and gave it to rich for a keep sake. he laughed.   it
was quite and experience.  in tech we got ready to pull the motor to replace
it with the turbo or the 400 chevy. i am not sure which one went in cause i
had to leave to get back to monterey.i guess it was done some in the motel 6
area.
It was a very fun, challenging and tiring few day at the races. i dont know
how they do it all week. it is not a vacation.  but i tell you i am going to
keep comming back as often as i can.  I dont have a car now ,but those who
are on this site and love the sport and want to get involved, hook up with a
team and do what you can.  they need your help. it is a tough sport and many
people are needed and appreciated. jack and crew didnt know me from adam,but
they have welcomed me  and let me take part and be a valuable part of the
team. from his wife keico and all  the others who have been with him many
years they were very gracious and willing to teach.  ( i think they like to
break in the virgins in a nice way :)  thanks guys.
the legends were there, and the future legends. Teagues humility before a
race was so amazing. I said good luck and he said " i need it".  He knows
what is going on.  truly only the greatest can become the smallest.  The
family feeling of the event is amazing. Jack kelly, Norm bennum, charlie
marklee ,so many others who were there doing buisness , it was great. i could
go on and on.  i will shut up now.  oh yeah the sunrises, the moon settings.
the lack of sleep. gosh nevada is a very empty( that is a nice way of saying
something else about neveda). Actually it helps me to understand why
prostitution is legal in that state. i know why speed week is only once a
year, its because u need that much time to catch up on the sleep you lost.
and i was only there for 3 days!. lol take care all!