Re: More Speedweek 2000

To: DrMayf@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Speedweek 2000
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:14:08 -0700 (PDT)
--- DrMayf@aol.com wrote:
> Some other items popped up in my head. Two
> older racers who had passed away
> were given one last run down the salt. Both had
> been cremated. One's ashes
> were to be taken into the hills later and
> scattered. The other had his ashes
> within the drag chute and were scattered on the
> salt.

That's a rather touching story - a real racer's
last ride.

I recognized the need
> to be a really smart motor
> guy. In the few days I was there the density
> altitude bounced around from
> 4000 feet or so to 6000 ft. This requies that
> you know your engine really
> well and have lots of data saying what jets are
> needed for both the fuel and
> for any nitrous. I need to explore this more in
> depth. One day, the corection
> factor for HP was 1.26. If I read this right
> this is a loss of 21% of the
> horsepower! Yipes.

This is the kind of stuff that always makes me
smile when some drug store cowboy talks about
some achievement on the racetrack, in whatever
kind of racing, and comes up with somthing like:
"Shoot, my Chevelle will do that!"  Ahhhem, maybe
it will, for two or three seconds, on smooth
interstate highway, at sea level, on a clear
night, with a 5% downhill grade.  Life on the
track is a heckuva lot different than hacking
around on the street!

Mayf, make sure you keep us all informed as you
come up with your different theories, formulae,
etc.  I, for one, am kinda weak on making jet and
timing changes to compensate for changes in
altitude, humidity, temperature, etc.  I usually
just figure on going two jets richer for higher
altitude and that's it.  I know that ain't gonna
work.

=====
......(In East Texas)........
.Hemis and Flatheads Forever.