Re: Motor Damage

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Motor Damage
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:08:32 -0600
Keith,  in response to: "if you run a 225hp Nitrous hit on 4 degrees of retard
for less then 3 seconds... you Burn a Hole about 1/4 X1/8 in the top of the #2
Piston."    I  would argue that you cannot blame it completely on the ignition
timing, I feel that the burning sensation the piston felt was a result more of a
lean mixture than timing, Mr. Dahlgren...others....what do you think?

You guys gave me crap when I said I used alot of bandaids this time of year,
well who needs a stinking compression gauge, we didnt need no stinking
compression guage, on the last thrash the day of the last qualifing runs we
fired it up, and when we shut it off and reached for the tool box for the
regularly scheduled compression and or leak down check, we all looked at each
other with the realization that it didnt matter what the gauge said, "WE WERE
RUNNING IT" so why the hell even look (no time to do anything about it if it was
low)?  first miles on the motor netted 193.9 running out of nitrous (2 mph over
the record), next morning WELL over the record again ran out of nitrous, can
there ever be enough nitrous, I SAY NO (especially when we ran the bottle for
over 3 miles per run), but I see why Dahlgren and others (yes Mr. Van Scoy) opt
for naturally aspirated or turbo

Joe :)