Home from the Salt

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Home from the Salt
From: Jane McMeekin <jmcmeekin@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:48:47 -0500
Three days of towing would not have fazed me a few years ago, but my old
fanny is just about paralyzed from that little jaunt. But are we ever
glad that we decided to go! What great memories of the Salt, the cars,
the people, and the speed. Reading about this place gave us an idea of
what to expect, but like the man said, “you have to be there.” The
atmosphere at 6 am is indescribable. Enormous in scale, yet absolutely
silent, the Salt waits. So wide and smooth, it invites one to cruise.
Then someone fires up a blown fuel Hemi, and thing change in a hurry.
Sitting in the line, we can hardly wait  for our turn to ride. And when
it is over, I think “it didn't last long enough.”

The car ran well, in spite of the fact that we decided to run our Maxton
set up for baseline info. We did change the final drive ratio, but the
jets were “stock” and the timing was left at 41 degrees. All seemed well
though Bonneville is some 4000’ higher than Maxton. Someone suggested
that if we knew what we were doing we could probably go faster, but the
word “work” creeps in to the conversation, and we’re pretty lazy so . .
.

A BIG THANKS to the guys and gals from SCTA. They are first class in our
books. Their tireless dedication and attention to detail makes the
Speedweek experience a treasure that we consider ourselves most
fortunate to have been a part of . The first words that we heard upon
arrival were “Thanks for coming,” and “What can we do to help?”
Fantastic!

 I don’t want forget about all the racers from Maxton, we are certainly
proud to be a part of that group!
McMeekin Brothers