b'ville 2000

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: b'ville 2000
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:02:27 -0500
Howdy,
         my update on the Salt: Saturday's run I thought I was a farmer and
used
the air dam as a plow, left a loooong groove in the salt and spent the next
two days repairing the nose of the car.  Tuesday qualified at 138+ and Wed
set record at 140 Wed afternoon qualified at 143+ and set record at 144.396
Thursday morning, rejetted bigger but went slower Thursday noon. also
started to loose the clutch, (Gee a stock 70 HP clutch going away at
144MPH....Hmmmmmm) ran at 8100 rpm in 4th gear, 5th would not pull out of
6100...major wear on the valve guides, valve geometry waaaaay off, need to
raise the cam in head to regain it.
        got home with only one incident where some kids in an old Fiesta tried
pass on the left shoulder with a bridge abutment ahead of them, only luck
saved them from being peeled off the side of the Pig into the abutment,
they didn't even know it, watched the kids in the back seat laugh at me
cramming on the brakes to give them room.................. I also would
have made the Salt Talks, but weeks of thrashing, driving and then the Salt
sun worked me into an early 12 hour sleep Tuesday night......I was out by
5:00 pm.....even with the adrenaline of qualifying......I sure had a good
time this year, met folks both old and new, was glad to hear and watch some
of them running, but spent most of my time under the hood.......gotta get
out more when on the Salt.....

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316