Re: Timing Advance ? ?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing Advance ? ?
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:43:31 EDT
In a message dated 08/23/2000 8:03:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Somthing new for me to think about here.  I've
 always thought in terms of  31 or 32 degrees of
 total timing advance (street and strip).  40+
 just seems outrageous to me.  I have to readjust
 my thinking.  How do you set it to come in with
 so much timing advance?  Surely you don't start
 with 26-30 degrees of initial - it would blow the
 starter out of it's hole, wouldn't it?  I'm using
 a stock points ignition in my hemis, and a stock
 GM HEI in the Chev.  Help!  Give me some guidance here.

Dick,
    I run 30 deg. with the little Ardun (3 5/16" bore) on fuel and it's
pretty happy there. On gas I can run up to 33 deg. but my mag has 20 deg
centrifugal built in. I've run 25+ deg static advance when the heads had the
original cartridge fire and it didn't fight the starter............Ardun Doug