Safety & attracting new members

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Safety & attracting new members
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:00:54 -0400
At 11:17 AM 8/27/2000 -0400, John Beckett wrote:

>>SNIP>> Obviously they have the money to go fast, or they wouldn't
have the "SpeedSport Whatever",  but I guess it's just a lark for them
without any serious commitment. But if they could run how many would be
hooked?? To big a risk to find out? I don't know what the answer is??? Can't
shy away from safety rules.>>

John, List,

   Consider the damage that the death or injury of one young, wealthy racer
without proper safety equipment could do to our sport.  Definitely not the
kind of press that would help attract new members.

   You've got it right John.  Safety rules MUST NEVER be compromised.
Sadly, many of our rules were written after terrible disasters which killed
racers.  Perhaps stressing that to folks who ask about running their stock
"SpeedSport Whatever" would help them understand why we have to be so
inflexible with safety rules.

   I don't see land-speed racing fading away if we don't attract "younger"
members.
I meet new racers at Maxton at every event who are in their thirties and
well beyond,  and there are always plenty of racers kids who are getting
such a hefty early dose of LSR that their fond childhood memories will bring
them back when they have the time and money to build their own machines.
Just look at the list of folks who made it to the salt for the first time
this year!  Life provides a lot of challenges and responsibilities to young
people (Family/career/home) that need to be ironed out first. Then they can
concentrate on important things like racing.  Our definition of "young" may
have to be modified to mean anyone under 40.

   Now, since I have a car that meets the safety requirements for it's speed
I'd like to hear more about these mysterious street classes.  I'm sure I've
seen other people ask about these rules on the list, but have never seen
anything regarding them in black & white.  Maybe I just missed something,
but could we share this again?

   You're familiar with the car.  Little gray Datsun sedan, legally
registered, muffled, inspected, insured, and driven to work.  What's the
difference between it running GC/ALT and running in the new street classes?

   I'm also curious about new engine class breaks that I heard mentioned at
the June meet, and anything about the new year break for the coupe/sedan
classes?  We are gonna follow the SCTA rule change on this, yes?  Will it
include GT/MS entries?  Lots of potential projects.  They're all heavy on
FUN and light on speed, so things can stay within my budget. "Light Speed
Racing"  Now there's a great tongue-in-cheek name for a race team! Anybody
using that?

Young Chuck Rothfuss
RX510 "USS Wankel" -fast enough
510 "Betsy" -faster downhill
RX7 project "Tarheel Torpedo" -fast as I can push it (faster if someone
helps push)
Pole Cat Hollow, NC