Re: Shortening Pushrods

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shortening Pushrods
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 11:05:02 EDT
In a message dated 09/10/2000 3:59:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time, kturk@ala.net
writes:

<< Doug they were supposed to be 8.5... they were 8.550... Fifty thousanths
 off.... and what the problem is is that the damn Jesel Rockers have a very
 narrow Range of adjustment...   about .100   ... So they were set up in the
 Middle of the range and this one being bad took it to the limit of the
 adjuster...

Keith,
    Sorry'bout my poor math skills. I was educated with theOld-Math" and this
new stuff confuses me.
    Just use my method with the lathe and the parting tool, then place one
end of the pushrod on a solid surface such as an anvil or your vise and rap
the other end with a hammer.
    Grip the pushrod in the chuck close to the end you are cutting or you
might catch the tool and bend the thing. The parting tool will cut off about
1/16" at a time. You can easily see when the parting tool goes from the outer
tube to the tang on the cup or ball end that is pressed into the tube.
    I use this method all the time, as I can't but "off-the-shelf" pushrods
for my antique motors. It works fine and you won't bend the pushrod by
pounding on it to take up the slack you cut off with the parting tool,
believe me. If you screw up the pushrod you haven't lost anything because you
have a new set coming tomorrow. This way you can get the engine out of the
stand today. Let me know how you do.
                                    Doug King