Street Roadster Roll Cage

To: dwarner@electrorent.com, eyres@cod.nosc.mil, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Street Roadster Roll Cage
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:59:37 EDT
Russ Eyres & Dan Warner,
    I've started working on the 1980's David Watson #137 G/STR that I
purchased a year ago. I've sold the Cosworth engine and plan to get it
current with a cage instead of the existing roll bar, then install a "C"
motor belonging to one of my crew. I will eventually install an Ardun in the
car and go run XXF/STR again.
    My question is regards cutting the body immediately aft of the driver to
go around the back of the cage, as long as the driver remains in the original
"stock" position.
    I saw a couple of STR cars at Speed Week that were altered that way to
give the driver more room. If the aft part of the cage is kept entirely
within the original confines of the cockpit the driver actually ends up
sitting several inches fwd. of the stock position. Given the limited leg-room
and space in a 27 T roadster, I want to give my 6'2" son all the room I can.
    When I ran my STR in 1988 the roll bar was completely within the confines
of the original cockpit, moving the driver fwd. and making the car quite
uncomfortable for even my short legs.
    Russ, as an aside question, the car has a mild steel 1 1/2" X 3"
rectangular frame. The rule book states a minimum for square tube of 2",
giving a crossection of 4"sq. The 1 1/2" X 3" frame of this roadster has an
area of 4 1/2"sq. If we have adequate crossmembers is this dimension OK as a
starting point? Also, would adding a stiffening rib down the bottom of the
frame rails be OK if Tech objected to the size of the rectangular tubing? I
don't think that a stiffening rib would constitute a "multi-tube" frame.
    Your collective thoughts please.................Ardun Doug King