Leakdown Testing Again

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Leakdown Testing Again
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:56:23 -0400 (EDT)
 Hi folks.  Got a little more insight on leakdown testing to pass along.
I think my last offering on the subject may have been incomplete.

A family member in CA is a dedicated private pilot with a Beechcraft
Bonanza.  He follows his plane's FAA maintenance very closely.  He
stated that FAA regulation periodic inspection of piston engine
cylinders calls for leakdown testing only, the two-gauge system only.

With the air-line gauge at 80 psi, the cylinder gauge must not be less
than 45 psi.  He said his Bonanza's cylinders at last test showed 55 to
60, which passed.  I had a ride in the plane and it ran like a charm.

This 45/80 means 44% leakdown.  My Ardun's cylinders show 9 - 19%
leakdown.  Ardun Doug told me the other day his numbers on the Ardun
that  just took the 210 mph Modified Roadster record at Bonneville are a
little better than that, but he has found that if you rock the pistons a
little at the top dead center position with a wrench on the crank, you
may get a better leakdown figure because minute changes in the lay of
the rings in relation to piston and cylinder make a difference.

Just a little tidbit for the theoreticians amongst us.

Cheers from ArdunBill in the Great Dismal Swamp, Chesapeake, VA