Re: LOTS of oil pressure

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LOTS of oil pressure
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:29:58 EDT
In a message dated 09/20/2000 6:50:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
saltracer@netscape.net writes:

<<
 Hey everybody,
 got a new oil pressure gauge today (to replace the Summit unit that stays on
 80 when off). well seems we got about 150+ lbs of pressure at about 2500
rpms!
 Ruined another gauge (Sunpro stays at 50). This is a fresh motor with the M15
 pump. Maybe wrong cam bearings? I mention this because the machine shop did
 sell me the wrong main bearings. Phil

Phil,
    I presume that this is a Flatty engine. Is it an early(bell housing
42-48) or late 8-BA style (49-53) block? It sounds like either there is no
oil pressure relief valve in the system or if it's there it isn't working or
set too high.
    The bell-housing pre-1949 Flatty had a relief in the front of the blocks
valley chamber that spilled excess pressure through a small hole into the
timing gear compartment. Later Flattys had the oil pressure relief in the oil
pump itself. The common complaint about Flatty oil pressure is that there
isn't enough.
                                            Ardun Doug King