Re: Roller Bearings

To: benettw@earthlink.net, owner-land-speed@autox.team.net, V4GR@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Roller Bearings
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:51:49 EDT
Perhaps someone on the list used to build volkswagen type 1-4 engines back
when a lot of people were using roller cranks (I think they were called SPG
Rollers?) and could shed some light here.

        Mike

<<Rich you called them roller and ball. I would have thought that it
might have been a caged  needle bearings. I believe the company I work
for makes the caged needle assembly for those motors. I am not for
sure as that part is made at a different plant. One thing to take into
consideration is the hardness of the needle compared to the crank
surface. If the surface of the crank is too soft then you will end up
destroying the crank. If the needles are softer you will wind up
pounding the needles out of the cage especially on the rods. Remember
what a spun rod bearing looks like! My thought would be maybe some
type of hard chrome or other type of surface treatment coating that is
applied with heat. The needles are not chromed they are just polished
after grinding. I have seen these assemblies in cam bearings, but
never on the rods and mains. Thoughts of pounding from the rods and
end thrust control on the mains?

BillB>>