Re: swash-plate

To: john@engr.wisc.edu, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: swash-plate
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:09:00 EDT
       John,  Thanks for the info ...... so one of these oddball engines
actually exists
...... that is amazing !   Did you ever run it / was it strictly an
experimental prototype
or did it have an end use / was the main housing cast or welded / of what
material /
did it run on gas only, or could be run on other fuels / can or might you get
it running again / how many were built / do you have any horsepower, torque
or rpm specs
for your particular size engine / was a lack of efficiency the reason it
never got into mainstream production ....... or was it the designer' s age
old idea of a better mousetrap ...... that really wasn' t  ?   A lot of
questions to throw at you ........
but it seems you own a rather exotic piece of internal combustion evolution,
and I believe many of us would appreciate all the details or historical
background
you could provide for us on this radical powerplant and its advantages as well
as drawbacks .   Also, how big is it and what does it weigh ?   Could it
actually
be installed in, and used to propel, any sort of vehicle ?   We often hear of
these
radical or offbeat theory engines ...... many of which never get beyond the
theory / concept stage ...... but you actually OWN one !   I think I am just
one of many on this list who hope you can tell us more on this rare item
...... and  THANKS, in
advance, to you, John, for anything further you might send along on this
offshoot
branch of the internal combustion evolutionary tree !
       Bruce,  who still hasn' t finished the two cylinder Chev that I cut
down from
an old  230" six back sometime in the seventies ...... just needs some welding
and crank flange work !   It would probably shake Keith' s rock n' roll
shaker ......
and itself ...... to pieces !!!   Also might be kinda noisy with two 24 or 30
inch
megaphones welded up for it ...... and those are done ...... and once sounded
off
on Sundays at the local drag strips, before I made tuned length headers with
bigger
collectors ...... way back in the sixties !
PS :  What the deuce is a SWASH plate ???   Webster says it is" to make
violent
and noisy movements " ( verb ) ...... or " having one or more strokes ending
in an extended flourish " ( adj )   ...... maybe those EXTENDED  flourishs
didn't
extend the life of these weird engines !!!