Re: Fastest Production Car

To: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fastest Production Car
From: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:58:27 +1300
My vote for fastest production car goes to the Mclaren F1 supercar. About
300 odd were built on a proposed 500 run. Good for a genuine 230 plus clicks
with the longer, non LeMans tooth. Ran a V12 normally aspirated BMW mill
pupose built for the car, about 372 cu" (good 'C' class donk for the frogeye
Keith).

Some of the cars details are quite mindblowing. Had an onboard modem or
satelite uplink of somekind onboard whereby if the car broke down anywhere
in the World direct contact with the factory could be made and a computer
analysis of the problem provided.

When the first prototypes were built McLaren boss Ron Dennis took one with
the team on the Formula ! circuit. He would load a couple of your regular
'know all' journo's into the seats on either side of him for a blast round
whatever circuit they were at. His favourite trick was to black track out
onto the track, slam it up a gear and give them the ride of their lives.
Upon return to the pits he would enquire if they noticed anything special.
Most totally overflowed with excessive adjectives on the cars performance.

The point most totally missed was that after blasting out onto the track in
low he had upshifted directly into 6th gear with few noticing due to its
broad torque band.

Neat story huh !!

Chris Harris.  New Zealand.