Bore/Stroke Ratio

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bore/Stroke Ratio
From: Jane McMeekin <jmcmeekin@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:21:37 -0500
Talking about a "favorite" Class "D" engine size makes me wonder if an
ideal bore/stroke ratio exists in terms of maximum power potential. Big
bore, big valve condition aside, should we expect a significant power
differential between a 4.25"x2.65" ratio and a 4"x3" size? Is the
primary reason for favoring the larger bore due to "better breathing" or
do piston speed, friction, and other variables enter into the equation?

Incidentally the 3 Liter Buick has a 3.52x2.35 bore and stroke with 6"
rods. Our "fanny dyno" says its doing all right but maybe it could be
better.